Following a Dementia Friends session, review premises to spot obvious issues, for example:
- Flooring which may cause problems: mats looking like holes, polished floors that look like water
- Signage which may not be clear, especially for lavatories
- Toilets and changing-rooms not accessible for two people, especially if different gender
- Bathroom fittings are not obviously taps or towels. Everything white with no differentiation for lavatory seat
- Mirrors that may look like an entry or corridor
- Steps that may be a tripping hazard or are uneven
- Different rooms, corridors or storeys looking the same, so difficult to work out where you are
- Where possible, make changes to overcome these issues. For example: remove mats, lay carpets, explicit signage to lavatories and for fittings in lavatories, remove mirrors, highlight steps, use paint to differentiate areas.
We are aware that in Bradford on Avon, some premises may not be able to have major structural changes.